Butte-Silver Bow Courthouse
The Courthouse (located at 155 West Granite, Butte, Montana) was dedicated in 1912. At that time, Butte was the state's center of political and financial power. Built for $482,000, the Courthouse features massive copper doors, elegantly painted murals on the interior, and wide front steps at the entrance from which several presidents have addressed Butte's citizens. Offices within are laid out around a rotunda with an elaborate stained glass dome (shown below).
Visitors to the Butte Courthouse can see on a small scale how ore was mined by viewing a working model of the Belmont Mine in the building's rotunda. The display model was built over a period of 38 years by Bill Burns of Butte.
The County Jail (located northwest of the Courthouse at 225 North Alaska Street), was built in 1909. The Jail was designed by the same architects as the Courthouse, Link and Haire. There are ten terra cotta lions' heads beneath the buildings cornice. There is an underground tunnel connecting the former Jail to the Courthouse.
Butte Water Company Building
Located on 124 West Granite Street, this building was designed in 1907 by architect George Shanely. Originally, the building housed the Montana Independent Telephone Company. In 1918, the building became the home of the Butte Water Company as evidenced by the sign set in molded stone on the face of the building.
Currently, the Water Utility Department is on the main floor, Public Works Administration on the second, and Public Works Engineering and CAD on the third floor.