Carrying Concealed Weapons
Montana State Statute MCA 45-8-316
Montana State Statute MCA 45-8-316 (carrying concealed weapons) states:
"Every person who carries or bears concealed upon a person (a dirk, dagger, pistol, revolver, slingshot, sword cane, billy, knuckles made of any metal or hard substance, knife having a blade 4 inches long or longer, razor, not including safety razor, or other deadly weapon) shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500, or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding six months, or both.
"A person who has previously been convicted of an offense committed on a different occasion than the offense under this section, in this state, or in any other jurisdiction for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in excess of one year could have been imposed and who carries or bears concealed upon his person any of the weapons described in Subsection 1 shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisoned in the state prison for a period not exceeding 5 years, or both."
Section 45-8-317, Exceptions
Section 45-8-316 does not apply to:
- Any peace officer of the State of Montana or any other state who has the power to make arrests
- Any officer of the United States Government authorized by carry a concealed weapon
- A person in actual service as a member of the National Guard
- A person summoned to the aid of any persons named in subsections (1)(a) through (1)(c)
- A civil officer or the officer’s deputy engaged in the discharge of official business
- A probation and parole officer authorized to carry a firearm under 46-23-1002
- A person issued a permit under 45-8-321 or a person with a permit recognized under 45-8-329
- An agent of the Department of Justice or a criminal investigator in a county attorney’s office
- A person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining, or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, backpacking, farming, ranching, or any other outdoor activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection; or
- The carrying of arms on one’s own premises or at one’s home or place of business
- With regard to a person issued a permit under 45-8-321, the provisions of 45-8-328 to this section
Obtaining a Concealed Weapons Permit in Butte-Silver Bow
You must be at least 18 years of age and have been a resident of the State of Montana for at least six months. Any criminal convictions per the Montana codes may result in denial of the permit, or any omission of arrests and/or convictions may result in denial of the permit. It is required by law that you complete a certified firearms safety course before the application is submitted. For example, Hunter’s Safety, DD-214, or any other NRA Certified Instructed course. Proof of completion of such course can be a photocopy of certificate, an affidavit from the entity or instructor that conducted the course, or a copy of any other document that attests to completion of the course and can be certified through contact with the entity or instructor that conducted the course. The Concealed Weapon Permit Application Form can be downloaded using the link on the right side of the page.
Concealed Weapon Permit Applications
Concealed Weapon Permit Applications are accepted Monday through Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m only, during which fingerprinting can take place. To schedule an appointment for fingerprinting outside of this time, contact Civil Deputy Bolton at 406-497-1186.
The application fee for a new CWP is $55. The fee for a renewal is $25. Please bring exact cash or a personal check. This fee is nonrefundable. Fingerprints and photographs will be taken at this time. Please allow 60 days for approval of your permit. A permit is valid for four years. You will not be notified of the expiration of your permit.
Please be informed that renewals are handled in the same manner as a new application. Fingerprints and photographs will be retaken. Please allow 60 days prior to expiration of your current permit for renewals.