|The departments listed on
provide the following internal services:
Director: Karen Byrnes
Room 115, Courthouse
155 W. Granite St.
Phone: (406) 497-6465
Fax: (406) 497-6248
The Community Development Department's mission is to preserve and rehabilitate Butte-Silver Bow's infrastructure such as commercial stock and businesses. It is responsible for addressing pressing community needs through preparation and administration of grant applications on behalf of the city and county.
The Community Development Department is located on the first Floor of the Courthouse, Room 115.
For more information, send an email or call (406) 497-6465.
- Business Development Center is designed to assist businesses in the difficult initial years of operation. The Incubator provides tenants with reasonable rents, shared overhead, and expert advice. The Business Development Center is located at 305 West Mercury. Please feel free to call or email us for more information.
- Urban Revitalization Agency (URA) is a Tax Increment District designed to promote the redevelopment and stimulation of investment within the Central Business District. The Agency is funded by tax increment financing and makes loans and grants for private buildings in the Uptown area as well as invests in other public and private improvements. The office is located on the first floor, Room 111 of the Courthouse. Please visit our Maps page to view a map of Uptown Butte's urban renewal area. For further information, please send us an email or call (406) 497-6266.
Butte-Silver Bow Urban Forestry Management Plan (pdf 1.75 mb March 2013) - Please email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Building and Code
Director: John Harrington
Fax: (406) 497-6298
The Code Enforcement Office is responsible for assuring the safety of the public through the proper use of property within the City and County. The Department is responsible for enforcement of applicable ordinances, regulating building and building matters. Activities include controlling design, construction use, occupancy, location, and maintenance of all buildings and structures by enforcing codes.
The Code Enforcement Office is also responsible for enforcing International Building Codes, signs, housing, mechanical, plumbing, and National Electrical codes. It administers the Uniform Code for abatement of dangerous buildings and approves plans for building and issues building permits. The office is located on the first floor of the Courthouse, Room 108. For more information you may email or call (406) 497-6210.
County Extension Service
Extension Agent: Kellee Anderson
305 W. Mercury, Room 302
Butte, MT 59701
Tel: (406) 723-0217
Fax: (406) 723-5345
This department provides services to maximize agricultural and human resource development within Montana. There are four divisions: youth activities, agricultural activities, community development, and home economics.
The activities of the office are to further agricultural productions and economic development through programs intended to increase beef production, conserve soil and water resources, and expand crop production. Human resources are developed through participation in such programs as 4-H Clubs, consumer education, nutrition, and family economics.
Master Gardening Class Materials - Butte
Director: Jon Sesso
Courthouse, Room 108
Fax: (406) 497-6298
The mission of the Butte-Silver Bow Planning Department, under the direction of the Planning Board, is to sustain and improve the health, safety, convenience and welfare of the citizens of Butte-Silver Bow and to plan for the future development of the community. Planning for the optimum land uses and orderly development of Butte-Silver Bow recognizes:
- The need for adequate transportation, health, educational and recreational facilities;
- The needs of agriculture, industry and business as related to future growth;
- The needs of residential areas to promote and provide healthy surroundings for family life; and
- The growth of the community shall be proportionate with and promote the efficient and economical use of public funds.
The Planning Department is responsible for updating and implementing the Butte-Silver Bow Comprehensive Master Plan and enforcing those policies that accomplish the goals and objectives of the Master Plan. These policies include local subdivision, zoning, and floodplain regulations and development guidelines for public right-of-ways, reclamation areas (Superfund sites), public places and structures, and public and private utilities. A listing of Building Guidelines is provided. Please choose from the following: Primary Structure Setbacks, Accessory Structure Minimum Yard Setbacks, or Accessory Structures Maximum Height Limits. Links to the Zoning and Subdivision sections of the Butte-Silver Bow Minicipal Code are available here: Title 16, Subdivisions; Title 17, Zoning. Below are several documents to help guide you through the subdivision process.
The Planning Department also provides support services to the Zoning Board of Adjustment that governs variances and special use permits. To contact the Planning Department call (406) 497-6250. Our office is in the Courthouse, Room 108.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Department is part of the Planning Department. Be sure to visit our Maps page to view available maps.
B-SB Transportation Plan Update (PDF document 19 MB)