The Chief Executive is elected by the citizens of Butte-Silver Bow to lead the Executive Branch of the Local Government. Currently, J.P. Gallagher serves as Butte-Silver Bow Chief Executive. J.P. was elected on November 3, 2020 and will serve a 4 year term, beginning January 1, 2021.
The Chief Executive Officer serves the city and county of Butte-Silver Bow and assures that state and local laws are enforced. The Chief Executive:
- Informs the Council of Commissioners of the state of governmental affairs;
- Recommends measures to improve governmental operations and conditions within the city-county;
- Appoints citizen Boards and Commissions;
- Approves or vetoes all council bills (vetoes may be overridden by a two-thirds vote);
- Calls Special Council meetings;
- Negotiates collective bargaining agreements;
- Presents and prepares financial reports.