Due to COVID-19, in order for the Butte-Silver Bow Treasurer's Office to remain open:
As a courtesy to our staff, and out of respect for our health and that of our other customers, we ask that you please:
- Renew your registration online if possible.
- *Wear a mask/face-covering.
- Follow specific social distancing guidelines and signs in the Courthouse.
- Only bring the necessary friends/family to complete your transaction.
*If you have an exemption from your medical provider, we will be happy to assist you in some other way, please contact the Butte-Silver Bow Treasurer’s office for assistance.
We provide you with the best customer service possible under the circumstances. Thank you for your patience as we continue to evolve with this rapidly changing world. Be safe and stay healthy.
Due to the declared state-of-emergency certain requirements for vehicle registration remain suspended in Montana. Dealerships have an additional 90 days to submit paperwork to county offices, and vehicle owners to title and register any vehicles transferred after March 16, 2020. New Montana residents have a 90-day extension to title and register vehicles.
Mail-in/Drop-off renewals are 2-3 weeks behind, but area law enforcement is aware of this. Titles and registration are 4-6 weeks from submission to payment and mailing of plates.
If you plan on traveling out of state and have not been able to complete your title work, please print the Montana Motor Vehicles Division Governor’s Directive #2 to have with your current vehicle registration in the event you are pulled over. Additional State COVID-19 Motor Vehicles updates are found here. (Motor Vehicle Division - MVD - Montana Department of Justice (dojmt.gov)
Due to the number of customers waiting to be served, we are limiting the following:
- We can only process 2 transactions per customer/per day.
- We are NOT processing personalized (vanity) plate transactions as they are not considered essential and take a long time to process.
For more information, please see our FAQs.
The Butte-Silver Bow County Treasurer’s Office is committed to provide efficient, courteous service and maintain accurate records, while upholding the fiduciary and statutory responsibilities required of the office.
Our objectives are to find innovative ways to provide top quality service at the lowest possible cost, while maintaining the highest standards of public trust, make sound investment of public funds, and collect revenue dollars while keeping the City and County of Butte-Silver Bow balanced.
ServicesThe treasurer is an elected position. The treasurer serves as the custodian for all public funds within the City and County of Butte-Silver Bow. The activities of the office include:
Butte-Silver Bow Courthouse
155 W Granite St
Butte, MT 59701
Phone: (406) 497-6310
Butte-Silver Bow Treasurer
P.O. Box 611
Butte, MT 59703
Hours of Operation
Treasure's Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Motor Vehicle Department Hours:
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For Property Tax Info
For Motor Vehicle Info
- Vehicle Search Service – Customers looking for what they paid in vehicle fees for income tax purposes. https://app.mt.gov/dojvs/public
- Vehicle Registration Renewal https://dojmt.gov/driving/ - CLICK - VEHICLE SERVICES, Then CLICK – ONLINE REGISTRATON RENEWAL
- Property Tax Payments - https://itax.tylertech.com/ButteSilverBowMT/
- Burn Permits - https://app.mt.gov/burnpermit/