Water Payments

All cash payments must be made at the Water Utility Office at 124 W. Granite St. We also accept Visa and MasterCard at our office. We also accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit card payments online - see below for detailed instructions to pay online. If you do not need a receipt, and you are paying with a check or money order, there are drop boxes located inside and outside of our office for your convenience. Please do not put cash payments in any of our drop boxes.

Automatic Direct Payments

To apply for automatic electronic payments to be taken from your checking or savings account, you need to complete and sign the Authorization Agreement for Direct Payments form. A voided check or savings deposit slip must be included for each form submitted. The funds for this payment are withdrawn around the 20th of each month. To cancel a direct payment, please complete the Direct Payment Cancel form and return it to the Water Utility Office.

Online Credit Card Payments

If you have received your water bill, you can make a Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit card payment online using our Virtual Merchant system. To proceed, you will need your billing amount and your account information. Begin by clicking on the link below.

Rental Property Tenants & Water Billing

Water billing responsibilities can be delegated to the tenant of a rental property. Simple complete the Notice of Occupancy form and return it to the Water Billing office at 124 W Granite St.

Delinquent Accounts

Water bills more than 30 days past due are charged interest on the balance assessed at 1.5 percent per month. If the bill is delinquent for 30 days in any amount, the customer is notified by mail of possible disconnect. When the service is disconnected for non-payment, the water bill must be paid in full along with a reconnect fee before the water is turned back on.

Refund Policy

A deposit is required at the time of the application for service, if the customer has not had service with the Water Utility Office in the past twelve (12) months, or if the customer has previously had service at any address and been delinquent in the last 12 months.

The deposit will be credited to the account after twelve (12) months with an interest rate established by the Butte-Silver Bow Council of Commissioners, provided the customer has been in good standing. A letter will be sent to the customer detailing the amount credited to the account. Refunds not issued after twelve (12) months due to delinquency will be determined by a review of the account one year from the date of the customer's initial application and deposit.

If a customer moves and is no longer responsible for water service before the twelve (12) month period has elapsed, they should request a refund. A check (including interest earned, minus outstanding amounts owed) will be issued within sixty (60) days of that date of the customer's request.

If a customer is entitled to a refund for reasons other than a deposit, such as over-payment due to sale of property, a tenant moving, etc, they should request a refund. A check will be issued within sixty (60) days of the request.

Refund checks are issued directly from the City-County of Butte-Silver Bow. No checks are issued from the Water Utility Office. If you have questions about this refund policy, or water billing, please contact the Water Utility Office at 406-497-6500 Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.