Animal Control

Animal Control Officers respond to all animal complaints and enforce all City-County animal ordinances and regulations. There are three full-time Animal Control Officers. They work regular shifts Monday through Saturday.

After-Hours Emergencies

Officers rotate on-call shifts where they can be reached 24/7 for emergencies. An officer can only respond to high-priority emergencies after hours. These include:

  • A person or animal in immediate danger.
  • Bite cases.
  • Injured animals that are still alive.
  • An animal on a highway causing a traffic problem.

For extreme emergencies, dial 911.

Compliment, Complaint, or Incident Report

You may download a voluntary statement form to report a complaint, or if you witnessed an incident. You may submit the form via email, standard mail, or in person at the Animal Services Office.

Neighborhood Complaint Form

The neighborhood complaint form for barking dogs may be downloaded if you and your neighbors are having a problem with a persistent barking dog. Only one person need sign the petition, but neighbors may sign also. Return the form via email, standard mail, or in person at the Animal Services Office and the office will serve the owner of the dog.

Animal Ordinances

Butte-Silver Bow Animal Ordinances may be found in the Butte-Silver Bow Municipal Code, Title 6, or check the Municipal Code Index for more specific topics.

Rabies Vaccination Requirement

Ordinance 6.04.292 in the Butte-Silver Bow Municipal Code requires that all dogs and cats are to be kept current on the rabies vaccine. Most vaccines are valid for two years, except for the first inoculation which expires after a year. The rabies vaccine can only be given by a licensed veterinarian, so call your local clinic and make an appointment.

Animal ControlDog LicensesLocationLost PetAlberts Angels