Special Events

Special Events
Butte is proud to be Montana's Festival City and is host to a number of special events annually, including the Montana Folk Festival, Evel Knievel Days, and An Ri Ra.

In addition to these large community festivals, there are a number of smaller community events like parades, brew festivals, and fundraising activities.

For any event with an anticipated attendance of more than 500 people, requires the closure of one or more streets, makes use of public property, or uses the Original or Anselmo mine yards, a special events permit is required. Events in one of Butte-SIlver Bow's municipal parks that do not exceed 500 people and does not necessitate street closures require a facility reservation request instead of a special events permit.
A non-refundable application fee of $100 will be charged unless the applying organization is a 501c3 nonprofit.
An Ri Ra photo

To apply for a Special Events Permit, you are required to submit three documents: a special events permit form, a communication to the Council of Commissioners, and a certificate of liability insurance. If your event requires a street closure, you are also required to obtain a traffic control plan from a licensed traffic control company.

The organizer of a special event must submit these documents no less than 45 days prior to the start of an event to the Recreation & Events Coordinator.

Special Events Required Documents